Saturday, April 4, 2009

He's b-a-a-a-a-a-ck...


“Can we build it…? Yes we can!”

I am excited… It is almost Michael Vick time again! And he continues to make news, even before his release… For those that don’t know, Vick declared bankruptcy after he was convicted and his NFL and endorsement money disappeared, and he agreed to pay the Falcons back $6.5 million of his previous contract. This past Thursday and Friday, Vick and his lawyers appeared in bankruptcy court and began laying the groundwork for Vick’s return to real life in May (and, presumably, an attempted return to football). Vick told the court that he plans to turn his life around and get back on the straight-and-narrow.

However, this is not what was notable about his appearance. What was most surprising was how Vick and his lawyers said he was going to go about turning his life around. My Dad once told me that hard work was the way to get ahead in life… The Warden must have told Michael the same thing in prison because Vick told the court that he plans to take a $10/hour construction job upon his release. I have to admit, I have a hard time imagining Vick in a hard hat and road guard vest. I mean, is he going to keep his throwing arm in shape by waving traffic? He did, however, say the job would only be 40 hours/week… That should leave him plenty of time to find trouble, wherever it may reside (“Hello? Pacman?”).

What’s more, Vick told the court he will receive approximately $600,000 from a documentary about his life to be made later this year. I get it, we live in a capitalist nation, but am I the only one that thinks it should be illegal for criminals to benefit from their crimes in ANY way? Call me old fashioned…

At any rate, I haven’t written many columns lately, partly owing to the NFL being in their off-season. BUT, with spring workouts underway, and Michael Vick poised for his release, the long drought of football idiocy we’ve had since last season may soon be over, my friends. Keep your fingers crossed!

-RP

No comments: