Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Through the mail success!


It's been a while since I last posted an autograph I've received as part of my off-season project.

The next one I got back was Mark Gubicza, formerly of the Kansas City Royals (and one year with the Angels)!

Gubicza actually has a World Series ring, which he earned with the Royals in 1985, and was a two time American League All-Star (1988 and '89). He even finished third in Cy Young voting in 1988. I was wondering why he was so good on R.B.I Baseball 2...

Career success aside, he is actually the Royals career leader in three not-so-glamorous categories: Walks Allowed (783), Wild Pitches (107), and Hit Batsmen (58). He is the Royals single season leader in Walks (120 in '87) and his career Wild Pitches total places him 64th all time in MLB history. Well done, Mark!

His career 132-134 win-loss record and 3.96 ERA are decidedly pedestrian, but at least he had a couple years of fame. Thanks, Mark, for signing the open area on my '92 Topps card! I'll definitely use him and the Royals the next time I fire up the ol' Nintendo.

No comments: