Wednesday, December 31, 2008

One less role model


In another example of a guy with too much money to ever have to worry about driving drunk, Charles Barkley was arrested early this morning on suspicion of drinking and driving in Scottsdale, Arizona.

Reports state nothing more than Barkley refusing a breath test (but did take a blood test; results still unavailable), and being processed, cited, and released. According to officer Lt. Eric Shuhandler, Barkley then left in a cab.

Which he should've done in the first place.

As I wrote about Joba Chamberlain earlier in the year, with as much money as these guys make, why wasn't a cab called in the first place? I suppose I will never be in a position to truly understand this phenomenon, but if I were to ever reach a point in my life where the media follows my every move, I will certainly fork over an occasional $20 cab fare.

And speaking of drinking and driving...

Please don't do it this New Year's Eve (or ever, for that matter). It's not worth it. Sure, you may be out $20 - or whatever it may cost you - and that might mean one or two less drinks at the bar because of it, but think of the consequences you may forever pay should you get caught. I've had a lot of fun with this site this year (and my other one, Darryl Strawberry Fields), and I don't want to lose any readers because of a dumb decision.

Here's to a great 2008, and to hoping for an even better (or worse, in the sports world) 2009.

No comments: