Sunday, November 23, 2008

1992 Upper Deck

As part of a project for my other site, I've purchased a few boxes of unopened packs in search of Darryl Strawberry cards. But after opening a few packs, I realize that these cards are bad. Really bad. So what better way to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon than sharing the results of a pack from 1992 Upper Deck? I won't post every single pack I open, but from time to time a pack might be too bad to pass up. Lets start with the first one:



I'm glad Upper Deck went with an exciting new design for 1992, and they chose one that seems to have aged well. I still think it's a nice looking set, with color photos on both the front and back. Collector's Holograms are always nice; everybody loves futuristic technology on a piece of cardboard. "Random sequencing" seems odd to point out. Was there ever a time when cards weren't randomly sequenced in packs? And would it even really matter? The tamper resistant pack is nice; I can be assured that all of my packs are unsearched. I'd happily pay extra for that kind of security! And they're counterfeit deterrent, too. Just in case somebody felt like making copies of those fancy team checklists, I guess. Though counterfeiting a '92 Upper Deck card would be like faking a $1 bill: not worth the effort.

Now for some the highlights... let's see if I can find a Williams! (2,500 Ted Williams autographs are randomly inserted in packs, which is a ton by today's standards. Unfortunately, approximately three bazillion sets of '92 Upper Deck were produced, so the odds are against me.)



A drawing of Shawon Dunston. Kinda cool, except turn the card over and you realize it's a team checklist in disguise. Not cool.



Sweet, a Griffey! Too bad it's not the younger, more talented one. I really liked those old Mariners caps.



Let's see what Upper Deck wrote about this Kurt Miller character on the back:

The Oakland Athletics considered Miller a better prospect than Todd Van Poppel, but Miller was already drafted when Oakland's first pick came in the '90 draft. The Pittsburgh Pirates took Miller with the fifth overall pick, and he went 3-2 with a 3.29 ERA and 61 strikeouts in 65.2 innings for Class A Welland. Last season, he had a 6-7 record despite having a only a 2.50 ERA in 21 starts for Class A Augusta, fanning 103 batters in 115.1 innings. Towards the end of the '91 season, Miller joined a growing list of talented Pirates prospects who have been traded when Pittsburgh traded him to Texas for Steve Buechele. Miller, an exceptionally hard thrower, will arrive in Arlington soon. "He has a perfect delivery," one scout said. "The only way he's going to hurt his arm is if he's run over by a semi."

If I'd read 16 years ago that Miller was going to be better than the great Todd Van Poppel, I definitely would've put this card in a plastic holder. But he must've gotten run over by a semi, because I've never heard of him.



Calderon's haircut is the sole reason baseball never worked in Montreal.



Remember Albert Belle? Heh...

Well, this pack sucked. I'd put them all back in and try to resell it for nickel, but it's impossible. Damn tamper resistant packs...

No comments: